April 2022 In Review
Happy end of the month.
It’s been a weird one that flew by way faster than intended. There’s something to be said for having three weeks off from work to turn the entire concept of time into a 1950s jello salad–especially after you’ve had not-insubstantial surgery.
This month has been about healing more than anything. Yes, I was physically healing from the procedure, feeling myself gain strength and peace with my body with each passing day. But when unwelcome people from the past attempted re-entry to my periphery, there was healing to be done there too.
I, like I’m sure many reading this, like to over-promise myself productivity for those few precious moments away from my day job. I am guilty of that this month as well. I wanted to do a lot more than was humanly possible, and I’m working on extending myself grace.
I spent a lot of time in cars and in extended stay hotel rooms (which are a completely different vibe from regular hotel rooms, don’t ask me why), liminal spaces that highlight the transitory nature of my life right now. As the summer approaches, I’m growing more excited–and nervous–about finding a new job and setting up a whole life eight hundred miles away.
Here are the stories that kept me company this month.
Stories Consumed, April 2022:
Books I Read:
- What’s Your Pronoun by Dennis Baron
Review: the book equivalent of this meeting could have been an email. good info, nothing groundbreaking
Completed April 6, 2022 — somewhere in northern Indiana.
Films I Watched:
- Turning Red
Review: everything about this movie is beautiful and I will personally fistfight anyone who tries to slander it
April 9, 2022 — Home in NYC on Disney+
2. Everything Everywhere All At Once
Review: my favorite everything bagel: the full range of human emotion, generational trauma, and salt
April 15, 2022 — AMC 34th Street NYC
3. The Northman
Review: you could be forgiven for mistaking this movie for tucker carlson’s end of men trailer
April 23, 2022 — Regal 10 Fishkill, NY
4. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Review: always trust your shamanic thespian intuition and this is the greatest love story ever told
April 24, 2022 — AMC 34th Street, NYC
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Review: my god there’s people coming out of your butt — aka a funny quote to deflect from the fact that i’m ugly crying
April 29, 2022 — AMC Kips Bay, NYC [[rewatch]]
TV Shows Consumed:
- Star Trek Discovery, Season 4
Review: everything happens so much
Finished: at an extended stay in suburban Detroit, MI on April 5, 2022 (First Contact Day!)
2. Love is Blind, Season 2
Review: I did NOT expect this season to be better than last season, but I have adopted Shaina’s shady squinting into my daily life so it counts as educational.
Finished: at an extended stay in Fishkill, NY — April 22, 2022
- Russian Doll, Season 2
- Star Trek Picard, Season 2
- Old Enough!
Words I Wrote:
20,401 words (up 13,035 words from last month; most in a month so far this year)
40 sessions (up 16 from last month)
Published Posts: 18 (up 16 from last month // 12 posts short of my goal of 30)
Check In On Goals for April
- Camp NaNoWriMo — It’s a wash: 60% of goal; 900% increase in productivity on the blog.
- Get Top Surgery — Done! Healing well!
- Read 6 Books — Failed — 17%
- Apply for Chicago Jobs — Success! I have several applications out there, waiting to see where the winds of the windy city take me. *cue the boo track*
Goals for May
- Finish the School Year Strong — I have to prepare my kids for a Regents, host a tenth grade film festival, attend prom, and graduation, and say goodbye to the school I gave the last four years to.
- Read 4 Books — Let’s pretend April didn’t happen and get back on the wagon.
- Keep up the Job Hunt — Obvious.
- Rebuild Strength — I’m cleared to start getting back in the gym for leg day in mid-may!
May’s an exciting month. Hopefully the weather will finally normalize. I’ll get to celebrate the first anniversary of being legally Topher. Literally brighter days are coming, even though the world is still the shittiest, most terrifying place.
Good luck, y’all. Find hope where you can.
I’m topheradastra on Twitter, Instagram, Goodreads, and Letterboxd.
- Unless that piece of shit El*n M*sk actually goes through with buying Twitter, anyway, then I guess I’ll have to revert back to the Tumblr era. Nobody wants that.
Camp NaNoWriMo Day 30
Like my work? Buy me a coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/topheradastra